The excitement of spring break is upon us and most of us will be traveling long distances. In order to prepare for the journey, below are our Top 7 Kid-Approved Healthy Snacks:
1. Drinks: Have them fill up their own water bottle with a squeeze of lemon & slice of fresh ginger or frozen raspberries.
2. Veggies & Dips: carrots, snap peas, celery sticks, peppers and hummus or guacamole. Kids will dip anything!
3. Trail Mix: nuts, seeds, dried cranberries, dark chocolate, yogurt raisins
4. Baked Chicken Wings: make ahead & pack to go! Bake wings in the oven at 350 degrees for 1 hr with salt, pepper, and garlic powder until crispy! Yum!
5. Taco Lettuce Wrap: bring washed lettuce leaves and wrap slices of chicken breast, tomato, cheddar & salsa.
6. Egg Dishes; Hard Boiled Eggs or even Frittata (recipe below)
7. Sliced Apples with Almond Butter: I bring whole apples and a small cutting board. The apples travel well and the kids are always excited to have a shmear of almond butter!
Go for organic when available!
2 cloves chopped garlic
½ cup of chopped onions
¼ cup of basil
1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes
2 cups of spinach
1 cup of sautéed mushrooms
½ cup of parmesan cheese
Sauté garlic & onions in olive oil, add sun-dried tomatoes until caramelized, then add spinach cooked through.
Add butter or bacon drippings in the bottom of the cast iron pan. Mix eggs and salt & pepper. Pour the eggs into the pan on a medium heat. Then add the vegetables evenly into the eggs. Sprinkle the parmesan cheese and continue to cook on a medium heat or you can put it in the oven on 350° for about 20 minutes or until cooked through. Keep it in the cooler until you are ready to eat when you are on the road.
If you are looking for more healthy eating ideas once you arrive to your destination, check this great article here.
Article written by contributing author, Rita Walker! AlpharettaMoms is dedicated to bringing important articles to you on health, things to do, education, beauty and lifestyle, entertainment and more!